mandisolomon

Just another UMW Blogs weblog

Born on The Fourth of July

Posted by mandisolomon on November 4th, 2008

i have to say that out of all the books we have read this is truly my favorite. I find this story easier to get in to, maybe it’s because there seems to be a plot, or a story to this true tale. In other words i found Ron Kovic very interesting and i found his story one that is very real and pleasure to read. After reading this story i found that Ron’s story really is the story of the Vietnam veteran. Ron lives his life with death always on his mind. His life is one of remembering those who died around him and remembering that he almost died. Sometimes he would go to sleep and think he would just die in his sleep. This thought of death is something he had to live with forever. Because he remembers this death and hate, he finds that he wants to tell people his story so that those that come after him will learn not to start silly wars that do nothing but kill. I find this something that a lot of other Vietnam veterans want to do. The Vietnam veteran is really the first veteran group to have a mass movement to stop wars. For Ron this is how he finds a way to move on with his life. This hate for war and this want to keep future generations from going to war is really what gets Ron to want to life again and i find that is a common theme with Vietnam veterans.

2 Responses to “Born on The Fourth of July”

1. bhupp Says:

I also love this book. It is such an easy and good read. I feel bad though for Kovic since he has to live with the death of the villagers and the corporal. He felt so much guilt and couldnt get it away. I couldnt imagine how it is to live without your legs.

2. ralph Says:

I saw the movie but have not read the book. I am fortunate to have learned more dimensions of Vietnam from firsthand accounts of the soldiers there. Hollywood embraces the anti-American aspect much more (what else is new?) and they tend to ignore other stories. For example, U.S. soldiers burnt villages under orders, but how often do you hear when they did this for the protection of the villagers who lived in heavily weapon-cached villages and escorted them to safer areas. Communist forces visited these villages and forced young men into service and raped, tortured, and slaughtered the rest. They told me some about the leftover remains. Most of what I see about the Vietnam War conflicts with what the veterans I’ve met told me, and I trust them much more than Hollywood apologists and elitist professors. A lot of messed up things happened and I know they held back, I haven’t earned the right to hear their full stories and I don’t pretend to know the politics of the war. But why doesn’t our educational system stress the viciousness of what happened in Cambodia under Pol Pot and other world travesties? I met a Cambodian man who lived through the killing fields as a boy and the stories he told me broke my heart. Soldiers put weapons into childrens’ hands and told them to kill their own parents or they would kill their brothers and sisters. And America is the evil of the world? When he arrived on ship to California he was the happiest boy alive.

God Bless Ron Kovic and all who served. I can’t imagine their pain, and because of guys like them, I’ll hopefully never have to. To all of our Combat Veterans and Servicemen, don’t be ashamed of your service, some of us know who you really are and we thank you.